Baked Doughnuts with Galaxy Icing (yeast free)
No frying or resting required, these doughnuts are basically like mini sugar bombs with fabulously exciting icing. They are really quick to make and can be made gluten free, or with any number of different flavourings, extracts and toppings. Intergalactic snacking at its finest!
Ingredients for the doughnuts
- 350ml soy milk
- 20ml apple cider vinegar
- 520g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200g caster sugar
- 150g vegan butter, melted
- 4 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Ingredients for the icing
- 100g icing sugar
- 30g vegan white chocolate, melted
- 25ml soy milk
- 1-2 tbs water
- Flavouring or extract (optional - I used coconut extract)
- Blue, green, purple and silver food colouring
- Sprinkles (optional)
Instructions for the doughnuts
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and grease 3 doughnut trays with oil.
- Combine milk and vinegar and set aside.
- In the bowl from a stand mixer, place flour, baking powder and sugar, and blend on a low speed until combined.
- Slowly add milk mixture, butter, oil and essence and beat until mixture is completely smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and pipe into prepared trays.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until doughnuts are starting to brown, and spring back when touched. Leave to cool completely.
Instructions for the icing
- Combine icing sugar, chocolate, milk and water in a bowl until smooth (you may need to microwave a few times if the chocolate starts to harden)
- Squirt food colouring onto icing and using a skewer, swirl around to create an interesting pattern.
- Remove doughnuts from tray, turn over and press into icing bowl.
- Leave excess icing to drip off, then place doughnuts on baking paper to set.
- Top with sprinkles if desired, and enjoy!