Easy Banana Celebration Cupcakes
Banana cupcakes are a classic choice for the vegan baker, as the banana makes a wonderful egg substitute, and adds a lovely moistness (sorry, I know you hate that word) to the end result. Recipes don't get much easier than this, and you probably have all of the ingredients you need, especially the ripe bananas that are on their way to your compost heap. They freeze well and the recipe can also be used for a fabulous banana cake, so add it to your list immediately!
Ingredients for the cupcakes
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Ingredients for the buttercream
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter
- 3-4 cups icing sugar
- A few drops of caramel essence (or to taste)
- Soy milk, as needed
- Food colouring (optional)
- Decorations, such as sprinkles or caramel sauce
Instructions for the cupcakes
- Preheat oven at approximately 190 degrees Celsius and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- Pour milk and vinegar into a medium sized jug and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder and mix well.
- Add banana, vanilla and milk mixture to flour mixture, and using beaters mix until just combined.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, evenly divide batter between cases.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly pressed, and have started to brown.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
Instructions for the buttercream
- Combine butter, icing sugar, essence and milk (as needed) in a large bowl, and beat until smooth. Add milk slowly to ensure your icing doesn't become too runny.
- Ice and decorate cupcakes to taste and store in an airtight container until ready to eat.