Carrot Cake with Vegan Cream Cheese Icing
I made this cake for a beautiful vegan wedding, which I'm told, despite some bad weather, was a fantastic soiree! The bride and groom requested a carrot cake, so I made my special recipe which is packed with raisins, coconut and walnuts, and topped it with a lovely cream cheese icing. If you can't get your hands on vegan cream cheese, a simple buttercream will also work just as well. This recipe also makes delicious cupcakes and freezes well! Decorate as creatively as you like
Ingredients for the cake
- 300g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 100g brown sugar
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 100g walnuts, chopped
- 50g currants
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 150g finely grated and chopped (about 1 small carrot)
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 150ml soy milk
Ingredients for the icing
- 500g vegan cream cheese
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon rind
- Sprinkles, flowers and caramel, to garnish
Instructions for the cake
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and grease a cake or muffin tin
- In a large bowl, combine, flour, powder, soda, sugars, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, walnuts, currants, coconut and carrot. Mix until well combined.
- In a large jug, combine oil and milk, and pour over dry mixture. Mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide mixture evenly into prepared tin, and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until mixture springs back when touched.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
Instructions for the icing
- While cake is cooling, combine all icing ingredients (minus garnishes) into a medium sized bowl and blend until smooth.
- Ice cake with icing, top with garnishes and store in the fridge until ready to serve.