Delicate Almond Tuiles
Almond tuiles are light, chewy, magnificent little biscuit delights, and as with most tasty treats, can easily be made vegan! My Delicate Almond Tuiles do require patience and a commitment of time, but the payoff is well worth it, and you'll be so impressed with how beautiful your creations look. With only 6 simple ingredients, they make the perfect high tea, kitchen tea or Christmas cookie plate, and can be made in advance and frozen if you're short on time.
- 130ml aquafaba (the brine found within a tin of chickpeas)
- 200g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 55g plain flour
- 80g vegan butter
- 150g flaked almonds
- Pour aquafaba into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat on a medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and continue to beat until mixture is thick, white, and soft peaks have formed.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and add vanilla and flour. Mix until just combined.
- Pour butter over mixture and mix again until just combined.
- Finally, add almonds and combined until they are evenly spread.
- Cover mixture with cling film and place in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to approximately 185 degrees Celsius and line a large biscuit tray with baking paper.
- Place 2 large rolling pins over a piece of baking paper, and very lightly spray with olive oil.
- When ready to use, spoon mixture onto prepared trays (3/4 of a tbs for each one), trying to keep them as even as possible, and not putting them too close to one another.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes, or until tuiles are brown around the outside but still light in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and leave for 1 minute to cool slightly. Do not leave for longer than this, or your tuiles will set and won't curl.
- Using a wide spatula (I also use my hands and end up burning them!), carefully lift each one and place onto rolling pin.
- Continue to bake and set tuiles, cover the mixture between each session and placing back into the fridge.
- Once tuiles have cooled completely, serve immediately or place in the airtight container for up to 3 days before serving.