Easy Rhubarb and Apple Tart
Sweet, tart (pardon the pun), fruity and very easy to make, this dessert is a great one for high teas, parties or any occasion that needs a bit more sugar. You can experiment with flavours, fruits and how much jam or sugar you add, and prepare all of the elements in advance to save time before a big event.
Ingredients for the tart dough:
- 250g plain flour
- 100g almond meal
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 100g vegan butter
- 2 1/2 tbs water
Ingredients for the topping:
- 370g apple, peeled and diced (any apple type you like!)
- 200g rhubarb, sliced
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 1/3 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tbs raspberry jam
- Extra jam and water (about 3 tbs jam with 1 tbs water)
- Flaked almonds, optional
- Freeze dried raspberry powder, optional
Instructions for the tart dough:
- Preheat oven to approximately 180 degrees Celsius, line a baking tray with baking paper. You can make this with or without a tart tin (my preference is to make it with a tin that has no base, just the structure).
- Place flour, almond meal, salt and sugar and blend for 30 seconds.
- Add butter and blend until the mixture resembles thick breadcrumbs.
- Add the water and blend until mixture comes together.
- Press mixture evenly onto prepared tray, forming a rectangle.
Instructions for the topping:
- Combine all ingredients minus the almonds and powder in a large bowl and leave for 30 minutes while dough rests.
- Pour mixture (including juice) onto prepared dough.
- Cover and place in the oven for approximately 1 hour, or until the apple is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and brush with extra jam (water it down to create more of a sauce).
- Leave to cool before serving.