Easy Vegan Dressing (Stuffing)
Thanksgiving and Christmas are usually filled with delicious and indulgent meals shared with family and friends, but unfortunately most of the food served is meat heavy, making it a tricky time of year to be vegan. Most seasoned (pun intended) vegans bring their own food to festive events, and my Easy Vegan Dressing is a great option if you're looking for a filling, tasty and meat-y dish that even the non-vegans will enjoy. You can make it in advance and heat it up right before eating, and season with your favourite fresh herbs and spices.
- 700g sweet potato, diced
- 6 tbs olive oil
- 120g day old wholemeal bread, chopped into pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 130g celery, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Italian herbs
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 x 425ml tinned chestnuts, chopped into pieces
- 2 tbs flaxseed meal mixed with 4 tbs warm water
- Nutritional yeast, to taste
- Greens, to serve
- Preheat oven to approximately 190 degrees Celsius.
- In a large rectangular baking dish, combine sweet potato with 2 tbs of the olive oil. Season if desired.
- In another large baking dish, combine bread with 1 tbs of olive oil. Season if desired.
- Place both dishes into the oven, baking the sweet potato for approximately 30 minutes, and the bread for approximately 15 minutes. Once removed from the oven, set aside but leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbs olive oil in a large frying pan with onion, celery, garlic, Italian herbs, paprika, cumin and salt and pepper. Cook, stirring regularly, for 5-10 minutes, or until onion is soft and starting to brown.
- Add bread, onion mix, chestnuts and flaxseed meal mix to the baking dish holding the sweet potatoes, and mix to combine.
- Top dressing with nutritional yeast, and place in the oven to cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until sweet potato is cooked and mixture is starting to brown.
- Remove the dressing from the oven, season, drizzle with remaining olive oil and serve warm with greens.