If I were the richest, most powerful person in the world, with every type of (vegan) food at my disposal and a world class chef, I'm pretty sure I would still have oats for breakfast every morning. They keep me full for hours, warm me in winter and make me feel refreshed in summer, are wonderfully versatile and super healthy, and of course, taste great! This is a very simple but delightfully tasty way to make a warm porridge, that can be done in a microwave or over a stove top. As with many of my recipes, experiment with toppings and make it your own.
Easy Vegan Porridge with Caramelised Banana and Berries
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 tbs cashew butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon, optional
- A handful of raw hazelnuts, optional
- Combine oats and milk in a small bowl and place in the microwave to cook for 2 minutes, stirring after the first minute. Alternatively, place oats and milk into a small saucepan and cook on a low heat until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, cut 1 banana in half down the middle and heat a small, non-stick saucepan with a small spray of olive oil. Place 1/2 of the banana over a low heat, turning once it starts to brown.
- Place berries into a ramekin and cook in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until it starts to resemble a thick sauce. Alternatively, do this in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Place banana, berries, cashew butter and cinnamon over oats, and sprinkle with hazelnuts.