Caesar salad is delicious, but it's name is a little misleading. Usually filled with greasy bacon, high-calorie dressing and pieces of chicken, it's hardly the healthy option most of us want. This version is made with fresh vegetables, high-protein chickpeas and tossed with a home-made, cashew-based dressing.
Healthy Caesar Salad
Ingredients for the Caesar salad
- 2 pieces of sourdough bread, cut into chunks
- Olive oil spray, as needed
- 160g tinned drained chickpeas
- 200g cos lettuce, roughly chopped
- 120g Lebanese cucumber, diced
- 250g cherry tomatoes, quartered, or regular tomato, diced
- 2 tbs Pimp My Salad - Cashew Vegan Parmesan, or more to taste
- 2 tbs Pimp My Salad Coconut Bacon, or more to taste
- 2 tbs Caesar dressing, or more to taste (see below)
Ingredients for the Caesar dressing
- 100g raw cashews
- 250ml water (reserve 4 tbs)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or black pepper if you prefer less spice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
Instructions for the Caesar salad
- Place sourdough onto a tray and lightly spray with oil.
- Place the bread under a grill to toast for approximately 5 minutes, tossing throughout to cook all over. Watch the pieces carefully to ensure they don't burn.
- Place toast pieces, chickpeas, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, parmesan, bacon and dressing (see below) into a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Divide salad into two bowls and serve.
Instructions for the dressing
- Combine cashews and water, and either set aside for at least 30 minutes or microwave for a few minutes until cashews have softened.
- Drain cashews, reserving 4 tbs of water.
- Combine cashews, reserved water and remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.