Lime and Rhubarb Crumble Cakes
Rhubarb is the kind of ingredient that often appears in muffin, tart and porridge recipes, and always adds a lovely flavour and a bad-arse splash of pink. Today I decided to combine rhubarb with some zesty and sour lime to make these cakes, and top them off with a hazelnut crumble. If you're feeling daring you can play around with the flavours, just be sure to keep the ratios the same. This recipe does contain sugar, so eat this hearty treat in moderation, if you can control yourself after taking a bite.
Ingredients for the crumble
- 45g hazelnuts
- 20g desiccated coconut
- 50g plain flour
- 25g brown sugar + 1 tbs extra
- 3 tbs vegan butter
Ingredients for the cakes
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 250ml soy milk
- 150g chopped rhubarb
- 100g brown sugar
- 40g vegan butter
- 365g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50ml warm water
- 1 tsp lime zest
- A squeeze of lime juice, to taste
Instruction for the crumble
- Place hazelnuts, coconut, flour and 25g of brown sugar into a food processor, and blitz until mixture starts to resemble chunky breadcrumbs.
- Add butter and blitz for a further 10 seconds. Set mixture aside.
Instruction for the cake
- Preheat oven to approximately 175 degrees Celsius and line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- Place rhubarb, sugar and butter into a saucepan over a low heat. Let butter melt and continue to heat until mixture starts to bubble and rhubarb starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Set mixture aside.
- In a small jug, combine apple cider vinegar and milk and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Add water, zest and juice, and slowly mix together.
- Add milk mixture, followed by rhubarb, and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared cases and sprinkle cupcakes with crumble. Top with extra sugar.
- Bake cupcakes for approximately 25 minutes, or until crumble starts to brown and cakes spring back when pressed.
- Leave to cool before storing in an airtight container at room temperature, but feel free to enjoy warm from the oven, too!