Loaded Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
If you're anything like me, you're always looking for new ways to enjoy nature's greatest gift: the sweet potato. It makes such a great base for vegan meals (as well as an excellent side), and this recipe is no exception. All you need are a couple of pantry items, some veggies and of course, sweet potato, to create a healthy, irresistible, plant-based meal. You can prepare most of the elements in advance if you're serving a large group, and experiment with fillings, flavours and toppings.
- 1 large sweet potato (any kind you like!)
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 80g black beans
- 80g chickpeas
- 100g mixed salad (cabbage, carrot, spinach etc.)
- 15g sundried tomatoes, finely sliced
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 tbs pine nuts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to approximately 200 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut sweet potato in half down the middle, lightly spray with olive oil and place each piece face down on prepared tray.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, scoop out about 2/3 of the sweet potato flesh and place back in the oven to continue baking. Place the scooped out flesh back into the oven, too for another 20 minutes.
- While the sweet potato is baking, place onion, black beans, chickpeas, salad, sundried tomatoes, yeast, pine nuts and seasoning in a bowl and toss to combine. Mix oil, vinegar, mustard and maple syrup in a ramekin and set aside.
- Remove sweet potato from the oven. Place some of the sweet potato flesh (to taste) into the skins, add the salad and drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with extra nutritional yeast if desired, and serve hot.