Barberries are tart and juicy, and although aren't everyone's cup of tea, taste marvelous when combined with oats. My Oat and Barberry Biscuits are healthy, wholesome and make a wonderful morning tea snack, and can be adapted to include chocolate chips, spices and sugar if desired. The recipe uses banana as a plant-based, cruelty-free egg substitute, which also adds a lovely sweetness to the mix. Make them in 45 minutes and feel like a champion, and if your sweet tooth still isn't satisfied, check out my healthier Apple Pastry Puffs recipe.
Oat and Barberry Bisciuts
- 150g quick oats
- 25g dried barberries
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 1 tbs almond meal
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 110ml rice milk
- 50g vegan chocolate chips, optional
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven to approximately 200 degrees Celsius and a line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients until completely incorporated.
- Roll mixture into approximately 16 balls, place onto prepared tray and flatten slightly.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until biscuits are starting to brown and are firm to the touch.
- Serve at room temperature and store in an airtight container.