Raw Chocolate Brownies
Spending time overseas is fantastic, but I've been dying for a vegan treat that isn't filled with sugar and nasty preservatives and haven't had the time to easily find one. I decided to create a recipe that was quick to make and uses ingredients that are easy to locate, as well as of course being vegan and filled with nutritious ingredients. The house I'm staying in doesn't have a food processor, so I used a blender and it worked fine. I hope you enjoy these fudgy brownies, and safe travels!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1/2 cup raw mixed nuts (I used a mix of cashews, almonds, walnuts and sunflower seeds), soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1 1 /2 cups of firmly packed dates, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 4 tbs cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp ground vanilla (optional)
- 1-2 tbs water, as needed
- Pecans, for decoration
- Drain nuts and dates, reserving 1-2 tbs of liquid for the mixture
- Place nuts, dates, coconut oil, cacao, vanilla and water into food processor (or whatever you can find!), and blitz until mixture is completely smooth
- Pour mixture into a lined tin (I used a container because it was all I could find, but avoid plastic if you can!) and smooth
- Top with pecans or a decoration of your choice, and leave to set in the fridge for for a few hours or until firm
- Cut into squares and enjoy!