Smashed Chickpea and Pesto Baguette
Eating a good sandwich is like watching John Munch fight crime in early Law and Order: SVU episodes: pretty much as good as it gets. Although I find deep comfort in a simple avocado and Vegemite toastie, sometimes I just need a little more oomph. My smashed chickpea blend is filling, protein packed, meaty and god damn delicious. You can mix up your other fillings, but pesto makes for a lovely accompaniment. Planetbox.com sent me the lovely lunchbox in this picture, which came with the cutest magnets that can be personalised! Pictured is the Shuttle box, which is non-toxic and great for school lunches. Get packing!
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 tbs avocado (more or less, depending on your taste)
- 1 tbs sunflower seeds
- 1 tbs hummus
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette (enough for 4 servings)
- 4 tbs vegan pesto (store bought or homemade)
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 tbs dukkah
- Salad greens
- Place chickpeas, nutritional yeast, avocado, seeds, hummus, lemon juice, mustard and seasoning in a food processor and blitz until mixture starts to come together but still has some chunks. Set aside.
- Cut open baguette and spread pesto on both sides.
- Lay tomato slices over pesto and sprinkle with dukkah.
- Spoon chickpea mixture generously over tomato layer and push down slightly.
- Top chickpea mixture with greens, close sandwich and cut into 4 portions.