An indulgence like no other, the marvelous cupcake has the capacity to take all of your troubles away and make you gain weight like nothing else. Definitely a sometimes treat but perfect for parties, my Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing are sweet, rich and totally delicious. Exchange regular flour for gluten free flour if desired.
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
Ingredients for the cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
Ingredients for the icing
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tbs soy milk
- Vegan honeycomb for decoration, optional
Instructions for the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to approximately 180 degrees Celsius and line a cupcake tin with cases.
- In a medium sized jug, combine milk, water and vinegar and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa and baking powder.
- Add milk mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared cases and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until cupcakes bounce back when pressed.
- Leave to cool completely.
Instructions for the icing
- Place butter and cream cheese in a stand mixer (or in a bowl to use a handheld mixer) and beat using the paddle attachment until smooth.
- Add icing sugar, cocoa and milk, and mix for approximately 1 minute, or until icing is completely smooth.
- Scrap down the edges and mix for a further 2 minutes.
- Pipe icing onto prepared cupcakes and top with honeycomb before serving.