Vegan Crumbly Cookie
This recipe makes a lovely, short cookie, which resembles shortbread but has a slightly softer texture. I've used rice malt syrup rather than sugar, which gives the mixture a lighter feel, and makes it arguably a little better for you. The recipe is vegan (hence the name, duh) and can be made gluten free, too!
- 225g vegan butter (I use Nuttelex)
- 250g rice malt syrup
- 210g spelt flour
- 115g rice flour
- 75g vegan chocolate, optional
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius
- Beat vegan butter in a large bowl for 2 minutes
- Add rice malt syrup and beat for a further 2 minutes, or until mixture is well combined has changed colour
- Sift spelt flour and rice flour over mixture and beat until mixture just comes together
- Pipe mixture into shapes or spread into a round cake tin
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, but watch carefully as this will differ depending on your oven
- Remove from oven and leave to cool completely
- Melt vegan chocolate and drizzle over cookies
- Eat right away or enjoy later!