Vegan Quinoa and Bean Veggie Patties
I was actually inspired to create this recipe after listening to a Sam Harris podcast episode called, "Meat Without Misery", about the new kind of meat farming being developed at Memphis Meats. This kind of cruelty free, lab grown meat is exciting to say the least, but in the meantime, let's continue to create and eat fabulous plant based alternatives, as good as or better than any meat based product you could find! This one is healthy, protein packed and tastes great on crusty bread roll with a thick slab of mustard or barbecue sauce. Try not to drool too much into the batter.
- 1 400g tin mixed beans, or beans of your choice
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 green capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked in water with a vegan stock cube
- 1 cup besan (chickpea flour)
- Salt and pepper, obviously!
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius
- Place beans, oregano, paprika, garlic salt, tomato paste, nutritional yeast and scallions in a bowl
- Using a stick blender, process ingredients until smooth
- Add scallions, capsicum, quinoa and besan, and stir until just combined
- Form five patties and place on a lined and lightly greased baking tray
- Sprinkle patties with salt and pepper and cook in a oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm
- Enjoy with your favourite ingredients (I like avocado, mustard, tomato, spinach and fried onions) on a vegan burger bun!
- Check out Memphis Meats here: http://bit.ly/1T5BUBH