Samosas are one of my favourite entrees, made with a crispy pastry and a spiced, vegetable filling. I'm sharing the recipe to my version, which isn't traditional but uses the same delightful elements to create a delicious snack. The dough and filling both freeze well, as do the cooked samosas.
Vegan Samosa Snacks
Ingredients for the dough
- 420g plain flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60g cold vegan butter
- 65g cold vegetable shortening, grated
- 250ml cold water
Ingredients for the filling
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10g fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 260g potato, diced
- 200g carrot, diced
- 115g frozen peas
- 100ml water
Instructions for the dough
- Place flour, salt and soda in a large bowl.
- Add butter and shortening and use your hands to crumble mixture together, creating thick crumbs.
- Add water and mix with your hands or a spatula until mixture just comes together.
- Cover the bowl and leave the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
- Make the filling, preheat your oven to approximately 190 degrees Celsius and set aside a large baking tray.
- Divide the dough into 15-24 circles, depending on how big you want them.
- Roll each piece into a flat disc.
- Spoon 1-2 tbs of the filling into the middle of each piece, then fold over and pinch the ends. This is the easiest way to fold them, but if you want to make them more traditionally, there are lots of resources online that offer step-by-step instructions for folding.
- Spray your baking tray with oil, place the samosas onto the tray and spray all over with oil. Baking is the healthier option, but these would be delicious deep fried too. A happy medium is drizzling 1-2 tbs of oil onto the samosas and baking them, but do whatever you feel!
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until samosas are brown and crispy.
Instructions for the filling
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan or saucepan over a medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and turmeric and mix to combine.
- Cook for a few minutes, then add remaining ingredients. Cover with a lid and lower the heat.
- Cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through and the water has been dissolved.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator to cool for at least 1 hour.