Easy Udon Soup
A good soup is wholesome, warming and filling, and perfect for a last minute winter meal. My Easy Udon Soup is packed with veggies, tofu and other healthy ingredients, and makes a wonderful warming dinner for a cold night in. Use what you have in your fridge and make a big batch for the whole week!
Ingredients for the broth
- 1 litre of boiling water
- 1 veggie stock cube
- 2 tbs miso paste (any type)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbs minced ginger
- 2.5 tbs soy sauce or tamari
- 1tbs maple syrup
- 300g shitake mushrooms
Ingredients for the noodles
- 1/2 small broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 1/2 carrots, sliced
- 200g firm tofu, cut into squares (flavoured or unflavoured)
- 400g udon noodles, soaked in hot water
- 1 sheet nori, sliced into small strips
- Fried onion, optional
Instructions for the broth
- Combine water and stock in a large jug and set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients into a large bowl and add stock, mixing to combine. Leave to soak for at least 1 hour.
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat and add mixture.
Instructions for the noodles
- Place broccoli, carrot and tofu onto a frying pan greased with a small amount of sesame oil. Cook veggies and tofu until just cooked through.
- When ready to serve, divide noodles evenly amongst the bowls, top with veggies and tofu, then with heated broth and finally with nori and any extra toppings.
- Serve hot, and store leftover veggies and broth separately until ready to use.